The poetic, story-teller genius the Taylor Swift is can be shown via the crafted, engineered ways she creates lyrics and allows each of her fans to connect with her on such a profound level.
Taylor recently released Red (Taylor’s Version) after re-releasing her second album ‘Fearless’ in August, giving us even more songs to relive again and pick out the most resonant song lyrics out there. Including the 10 minute version of fans’ favourite ‘All Too Well’, with even more heartbreaking, shattering lyrics.
1. You call me up again just to break me like a promise, so casually cruel in the name of being honest, from the classic version of All Too Well
2. Your heart was glass I dropped it, champagne problems, from Evermore’s Champagne Problems
3. Wasn’t it beautiful running wild ‘til you fell asleep, before the monsters caught up to you? Wasn’t it beautiful when you believed in everything and everyone believed in you?, from Speak Now’s Innocent
4. You’re not my homeland anymore, so what am I defending?, from Folklore’s My Tears Ricochet
5. You paint me a blue sky and go back to turn it to rain. I lived in your chess game but you changed the rules everyday, from Speak Now’s Dear John
6. You drew stars around my scars but now I’m bleeding, from Folklore’s Cardigan
7. Your nemeses will defeat themselves because you get the change to swing, from Evermore’s Long Story Short
8. I made you my temple my mural my sky, now I’m begging for footnotes in the story of your life, from Evermore’s Tolerate It
9. All the girls that you’ve run dry have tired, lifeless eyes ‘cause you burned them out, but I took your matches before fire could catch me, so don’t look now now I’m shining like fireworks over your sad empty town, another from Speak Now’s Dear John
10. Time won’t fly it’s like I’m paralysed by it, I’d like to be my old self again but I’m still trying to find it, another from the class version of ATW
11. Your Midas touch on the Chevy door, November flush and your flannel cure, another from Champagne Problems
12. We gather stones, never knowing what they’ll mean. Some to throw, some to make a diamond ring, another from My Tears Ricochet
13. You’re still all over me like a wine-stained dress I can’t wear anymore, from 1989’s Clean
And from the new 10 minute version of All Too Well? Here’s my top 5:
1. They say all’s well that ends well, but I’m in a new hell every time you double-cross my mind
2. You kept me like a secret but you kept like an oath
3. That picture you had of me, who was she? A never-needy, ever-lovely jewel whose shine reflects on you.
4. You said if we had been closer in age, maybe it would’ve been fine, and that made me want to die. This relates to the age difference between Jake Gyllenhall and Taylor when they were dating back in 2009 (9 year gap). If you’re a true Swift fan, you would understand the pain that this line which this line resonates from Taylor.
5. “It’s supposed to be fun, turning 21”. If you’ve loved the song 22 in the same album, as a fan you will have screamed when hearing this line. The song 22 describes having fun and being single with your friends. On understand this, we can scream when we here this ATW line as it means what a shit year Taylor had previous to turning 22, as she went through the Jake Gyllenhall break up at 21.
My favourite song from each album: Debut Tied Together With A Smile, Fearless The Other Side Of The Door, Speak Now Dear John OR Enchanted, Red All Too Well (no debate), 1989 Out of the Woods, Reputation I Did Something Bad, Lover Afterglow, Folklore Cardigan OR My Tears Ricochet, Evermore Tolerate It, Fearless (Taylor’s Version) From The Vault Mr Perfectly Fine, Red (Taylor’s Version) From The Vault (if we’re not including the 10 minute version of ATW) Better Man.
To summarise, if you are not yet a Swiftie you may want to jump on board. Who else has the ability to song-write with such fluidity and grace?